Prepare for Your Installation
Here is what to expect at your installation visit
Prior to the technician arriving at your home, think about where you would like your modem to be, and have the closest power outlet accessible. Keep in mind that it is best to keep the modem in a location with good airflow, at least six inches away from the wall. Also, ensure that someone 18 years or older will be present for the duration of the installation.
The installation generally takes between two and four hours.
What to expect at your appointment:
Work with your technician to find the best outdoor dish location.
The technician will install your satellite dish outside your home and run a cable inside your home directly to your modem. If you ordered HughesNet Voice, have your telephone and cable available.
After installation, you need to activate your HughesNet services.
What is included with a professional installation?
1) The HughesNet professional technician will install the HughesNet Wi-Fi Modem (with power supply) and will connect 2 devices, such as:
a. desktop computer (connected to modem with a HughesNet supplied LAN cable)
c. tablet (Apple iPad, etc.)
You can ask your technician to connect additional devices for an additional cost. Any non-standard installation extras will be billed on your next HughesNet invoice. The technicians do not accept cash or check at the time of install.
2) A HughesNet satellite antenna (dish), radio, and mount will be located with a clear line of sight to the southern sky and at least 4 feet 5 inches off the ground so that it is out of reach of small children. For homes with vinyl siding, metal siding, or metal roofs, the technician may recommend a pole mount. Customers can request a pole mounted dish installation as opposed to a roof mounted installation when the technician arrives. Keep in mind a roof mounted installation may provide the best long-term line of sight for optimal performance. If being installed to an outer wall or roof, the equipment needs to accessible with a 25-foot ladder for quick and easy servicing should it ever be required.
3) Up to 125 feet of RG-6 cable will be run from the antenna outside to the modem inside through a drilled hole through the exterior wall to an adjacent interior wall. It will be terminated on the inside wall with a faceplate. If a pole mount is installed, up to 25 feet of trenching is included.
4) A grounding block is provided and the entire system is grounded to an NEC-approved bonding point.
5) All outdoor penetrations and water-resistant compression fitting are thoroughly weather-sealed.
Can the certified HughesNet technician hook up my home network?
Your technician will connect two devices during your installation appointment. However, you can ask your technician to connect additional devices for an additional cost.
Your technician will also offer to check your wireless strength using a signal gauge throughout your home to ensure you have coverage in every room. If your signal is weak in certain locations of your home due to the size, layout, or construction materials used, they may recommend a Hughes Wi-Fi Booster to extend your wireless signal. This extender is specifically engineered to work with HughesNet and delivers a strong, reliable Wi-Fi signal across your home for seamless browsing and streaming. If you purchase a Booster from your technician, the cost of the device and installation will be added to your next HughesNet invoice.
Make sure you register your account on myHughesNet.com for access to various tools and easy online bill pay. Then, download The Mobile App to monitor data usage! Android | iOS
We strive to be a 10! Customer surveys are sent at random to ensure quality installations. If at any time during the installation, you don't feel that the service provided qualifies as a "10," please stop the installation and share your concern with the technician.
What non-standard installation items are not covered?
Customers sometimes want to enhance or customize their installation to specific requirements. Some of the more common enhancements are mentioned below. While they are not included in a HughesNet standard installation, these enhancements may incur charges that will be added to your next HughesNet invoice. All costs for non-standard work or equipment will be itemized by the independent HughesNet technician on the HughesNet Installation Reference Sheet and require your authorization signature before proceeding. Technicians do not accept cash or check at the time of install. These non-standard installation items include major customization on your HughesNet system that would require the technician to:
a. Spend excessive time onsite to meet customer-directed requirements.
b. Purchase special materials, molding, or cosmetic hardware to hide exposed cables.
c. Remove, repair, or build structures to hide or support the HughesNet System.